A Fool-Proof Guide
Ah, the dating scene in Dallas. I’ve been on my fair share of disaster dates, but hell I’ve had some fun too! What I dig in a guy is a sense of adventure, creativity and willingness to try new things. My favorite date, whether or not it’s my first or 15th, typically revolves around some kind of adventure. No, I don’t want to go to Chili’s and I don’t want to see the new Blockbuster release. Here are a few of my favorite summer date ideas, give them a try and let me know what you think @AmberLaFrance.
FOR THE GIRL YOU’VE JUST MET
First dates can be so easy if you don’t overthink them. Try focusing on a fun activity that’s light-hearted. Believe me, you don’t want to spend the night awkwardly staring at each other in silence – you’re practically strangers! Avoid pricey activities, fancy dinners and overly romantic atmospheres this early in the game. Your wallet won’t hurt and she won’t feel pressured. If the sparks don’t fly, relax, there are more fish in the sea.
• Learn how to play Pétanque (the French version of Bocce ball) at Klyde Warren Park (July 6)
• Get your groove on with Fitz & the Tantrums at the House of Blues (July 12)
• Challenge her to a game of dodge ball at Life in Deep Ellum (July 17)
FOR THE GIRL WHO’S TOO CUTE TO JUST BE YOUR FRIEND
Let’s face it, being in the “friend zone” sucks. Why? Because you’re the guy who’s always there for her, but for some reason it hasn’t gone to that next level. Take my advice, grow some balls and take her somewhere where you can have fun together and get flirtatious. Ideally, she’ll start to entertain the idea of dating you and stop looking at you as just a friend.
• Explore tasty local brews at the Deep Ellum Brewing Company (tours Thursdays at 6 p.m. and Saturdays at noon)
• Bask under the stars and enjoy local music at the Nasher by Oil Boom (July 19)
• Watch a movie, old-school style at the Coyote Drive-In in Fort Worth (screenings start at 6 p.m. daily)
FOR THE GIRL YOU WOULDN’T INTRODUCE TO MAMA
Let’s be honest here, this girl has something you want and it’s not a relationship. Maybe you’re just friends with benefits, maybe it’s a no-strings-attached situation, but either way you’re not dialing up the romance meter for this one. Take her somewhere where you can enjoy a night of heavy drinking.
• Chug a beer and challenge her to a game of beer pong at Bombshells (every Wednesday night until July 17)
• Down a carafe of mimosas, light a handful of sparklers and do some table dancin’ at Sunday School at Hotel Zaza (every third Sunday of the month)
• Get rowdy with the lovely ladies of DFW Burlesque for the Fourth Annual Heavy Metal Burlesque at Trees (July 20)
FOR THE GIRL YOU DO WANT TO INTRODUCE TO MAMA
Your theme song is no longer “Area Codes” by Ludacris. You’ve finally found someone who’s worthy of meeting the ‘rents. Don’t get too relaxed though, now that you have her you’ve got to keep her around. Show her you can be spontaneous and keep the sparks flying.
• Channel your inner wino and ferment your own wine at Su Vino Winery in Grapevine
• Cuddle up at the Highland Park Film Festival for Sunset Boulevard, an American film noir from 1950 (July 15)
• Wow her with your sushi-rolling skills at Central Market’s cooking class (July 25 at 6:30 p.m.)