By Lew Patton
Some fast facts about this year’s Indianapolis 500 winner Alexander Rossi:
- He doesn’t mind if you call him Alex.
- Won the 100th running of the Indianapolis 500, in his first attempt and only his second race on an oval, making him the first rookie to win the race since 2001. (Helio Castroneves).
- The 24-year-old from Nevada City, California drives the #98 Honda for Andretti/Herta Autosport for the 2016 Verizon Indycar Series this season.
- Made five Formula One starts for Manor Marussia in 2015, and became only the third American driver to race F1 since 1990.
- Currently lives in downtown Indianapolis, Indiana. His favorite city is London, and his favorite place is Lake Tahoe, California.
- Enjoys the outdoors; a fan of alternative rock, country music and Chris Brown. His favorite movie is The Breakfast Club, and he is a fan of TV’s crime-thriller hit The Blacklist.
Champion of the 2016 Indianapolis 500, winning in just his sixth career Verizon IndyCar Series start. He became the 10th rookie driver to win the Indianapolis 500, the first since Helio Castroneves in 2001. The first American rookie winner since Louis Meyer in 1928.
Rossi will make his Texas Motor Speedway debut during the Firestone 600 on Saturday, June 11.
Rossi and team were in Dallas ahead of the next race at TMS and we had a chance to catch up with him at Cool River in Las Colinas.
Check out the question and answer session video here.
There is only one IRL race at Texas Motor Speedway each year, so if you want to watch Rossi do his thing; be sure to be at TMS on June 11. Tickets are available by contacting the Texas Motor Speedway ticket office at (817) 215-8500 or by visiting www.texasmotorspeedway.com.